29 April 2006

Retirement

Why is it that people retire to 'the countryside'?

It is truly beyond me - let us examine the facts - You retire when you get older (and given the way the British government is going, I mean older). As you get older, you get increasingly infirm. As you get increasingly infirm, you are going to have an increasing reliance on other people. In 'the countryside' there are decreasing numbers of people and increasing numbers of trees.

It seems to me, that when you retire, what you really need is infrastructure. Places to go, things to see (and I don't just mean trees) and a means by which to get to those places that is reliable and regular, in short, you need a city with reliable public transport (because at some point, there is no way you are going to let yourself get behind the wheel of a car).

Why then, is it not the case that people retire to 'the inner city'? People tell me it's because the cities are grimy, dangerous places - but what makes 'the countryside' so clean and safe? You can bet it's not the boggy fields and drunken tractor drivers.

The vision I have for my own future is to retire to a flat in the centre of London. The pure logic of this is obvious. The flat works, because I will need less space, the kids will have grown and flown the nest and, anyway, all those stairs are going to become a bit of a pain (It'll have to be a ground floor flat, granted). The centre of London makes sense because it has everything, Restaurants, Theatres, Museums, things to do, places to see. London has amazingly good public transport. Above all, London has people, lots of people. In addition to all of this, I will actually be able to afford somewhere central because I will have a lifetime of earnings to back me up (well, hopefully).

And hey, if I get some 'countryside' urge I can deal with that too. A minor wish to see a tree or bush can be satisfied by one of the big parks and, if it's a real craving for 'the great outdoors', I can book a 'not-city break' or just jump (well, hobble) onto a train.

You can keep you're retirement 'villages', it seems to me what we really should be aiming for is a retirement 'metropolis'.

3 comments:

Stumow said...

Wise words indeed. My girlfriend's dad's guardian (so, her kind of pseudo-grandmother) lives bang in the centre of London (just of Regent's Park, no less, what-what-what!) and she has more of an active social life than anyone I know! Her husband died recently, and I very much doubt she would kept so 'chipper' if it wasn't for being surrounded by the city, the people, and all it has to offer.

Cuth said...

Confirmation! That's what I like to hear, confirmation is good. Stu, you are the first person who didn't just tell me to shut up - well done. You can come and visit me in my retirement.

Stumow said...

Ok ICE, but no bed-baths! ;-)