29 April 2006

Finger Conspiracy

I think my fingers are trying to tell me something.

So, I'm working at my computer, trying to find a file on my hard disk. Unlike the youth of today, who would launch explorer and click on a button, I like to do this the old fashioned way, command prompt, directory listing etc etc.

For the uninitiated, the way one gets a directory listing (a list of files in a given folder) is to type in the DOS command, dir. Simple. But, I go to type that, and what actually comes out on the screen? Well, it was diet.

Now don't get me wrong, I can mistype with the best of them - but take a look at your keyboard, 'e' and 't' are on either side of the one letter I actually wanted, 'r'. So to achieve this particular mistype, my fingers had to do double the work - this cannot be a simple coincidence, I'm convinced my fingers are giving me a message.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't right - I do need to diet, and probably spend a great deal less time searching for files on my hard disk.

I wonder if I'm the only person on the planet with soothsaying digits...

No comments: